How to troubleshoot LG washer and dryer
For many laundromat operators who use LG laundry machines, the frequently asked question is “how do I reset my LG washer and dryer or how do I troubleshoot my LG laundry machines without paying for an expert’s service?”.
Without mincing words, let’s see some ways to troubleshoot the common problems of LG washing machines and dryer, with more emphasis placed on how to reset an LG dryer. There’s no need to worry about the specific model, these troubleshooting steps will generically work for all LG models.
How to reset LG washer
LG modern washing machines work poorly at times. In most cases, these failures are fairly simple to fix with a computer restart of the washing machine.
Before calling a technician to repair it, try to solve the problem yourself by simply resetting the machine. While it is not guaranteed to work in all cases, a simple reset can work and save the cost of a technician.
By the way, the first method that a technician will use to fix your washing machine is the restoration method.
What you’ll need
- LG washing machine (any model)
- Dirty laundry clothes
- Make sure that the problem or error is not caused by an external factor. For instance, the machine could be too loaded or perhaps there is a leak in the water hose.
- Pull the washer away from the wall. Do it very gently, so that you do not disconnect the water hose from the back of the unit.
- Disconnect the power cable from the washer to the electrical unit which connects it.
- Open the lid or door of the washing machine and manually rotate the basket of the unit. On a top loading machine, hold the medium stirrer firmly and spin it. In most cases, you will not be able to give it a full 360-degree rotation, so simply rotate it as much as possible. On a front loading machine, place your hands firmly inside the machine and rotate 360 degrees.
- Wait at least one minute to allow the electricity inside the machine to dissipate.
- Connect the power cord of the washing machine to the electric unit.
- Push the washer into place.
- Try washing another load of laundry to see if this reset manual solved the problem.
Before using or troubleshoot the washer, read the user manual. It contains important safety information and recommendations for the use and solution of problems.
A manual reset, as described above, will usually solve any minor problems that the machine may be having. However, if the problem is mechanical in nature, you will have to contact a certified technician.
How to fix an LG dryer
Most errors or breakdowns of the dryer have an easy and quick solution. Before calling the technical service or LG’s customer service, check the contents of this guide to identify the error and implement the solutions.
If there is an anomalous operation, first check the dryer’s display if an error code has appeared.
Some warning lights and what they mean
- Clean Filter
If the dryer stops and shows the Check Filter light, it may occur because:
- The filter is dirty and needs cleaning. After cleaning, press Play/ Start/Pause and the dryer will start again.
- If you have cleaned the filter with water, it may clog. Dry the filter and press Play/Start/Pause and the dryer will start again.
- If the dryer continues to show this light after cleaning and drying the filter, open an online repair request.
- Filter not installed
Check that the dryer’s filter is in place, tucked in completely and in the correct orientation. Under no circumstances should you use the dryer without a filter.
- Empty water
If the dryer stops and the light comes on or the display shows “Empty Water Tank”, empty the water tank if it is full.
Some common error codes
- dE Error
The dryer door is open or not properly closed. Close the door tightly and check that the filter is in place and properly fitted, then press the Play/Start/Pause key. If the message continues to appear, open an online repair request.
- CL error
It is not an error, but a security measure for children. When active, this symbol appears on the screen and the keys on the control panel will deactivate.
To deactivate the child lock, depending on your model, just press the button for drying level for 3 seconds.
- Anti-wrinkle program
It displays at the end of drying if the Anti-crease program gets activated. This program will continue for 2 hours after drying. At any time, you can open the door and take out the clothes.
- OE error
You have to install the dryer indoors. If you install it outdoors, especially in winter, the water can freeze inside the machine. This can cause the pump to stop and the panel to show an OE error.
How to troubleshoot an LG dryer
LG electric dryer problems vary. If you have problems with your LG dryer, you can run through some steps to try to solve the problem. You have to allow approximately 15 minutes for this task.
What you’ll need
- An LG dryer (any model)
- Washed wet clothes
- When your LG dryer takes too long to dry or doesn’t even dry at all, check the power supply. Make sure the dryer is firmly plugged in and the outlet is on.
- Test the socket by plugging in a lamp or other small appliance. If the lamp does not turn on, check the fuses or switches in your home. Most electric household dryers use two fuses – if only one gets touched, the dryer can turn on but not heat. Contact an electrician if you are not sure of how to make fuse replacement in dryers.
- Make sure the gas shut-off valves are open. Most gas shut-off valves are behind the dryer to the wall. You should also make sure that the main gas shutoff valve for your home is open. Contact a professional if you have no confidence handling gas taps.
- Check the clothes you are putting in the dryer. If you are drying dirty or a mixture of clean and dirty clothes, it is possible that the stains got transferred during the cycle. Make sure that the clothes you dry are completely clean from the washing machine.
- Empty the lint filter if you find lint on the clothes. You should remove and clean the lint filter after each cycle to keep your dryer running efficiently. Try not to mix the lint-producing fabrics, such as a towel and plush with lint-attracting fabrics such as corduroy. Too much lint is also caused by the overload of the dryer or the fabric that remains in the pockets of the clothes.
- Add fabric softener in the wash to reduce excess static. Synthetic fibers such as polyester can remain under static tension during the cycle, especially if they are over-dried. Reduce the time that allows garments to dry if they come out hot to the touch. Overloading the dryer can cause excess static.
- Check labels for washing clothes and drying. A mixture of fabrics can cause inconsistent drying. Heavier items such as towels and comforters will take longer, while light items such as sheets and shirts will dry faster. Sub-loading the dryer can also result in inconsistent results.
- Remove clothes from the dryer immediately after the cycle to reduce wrinkles. If you leave your clothes in the dryer for several hours after the cycle is complete you may have to iron the clothes separately.
If all these do not solve the problem, you can check the user manual to learn how to make an LG dryer hard reset.
Meanwhile, you can check the tutorial below for another way to reset your LG dryer:
These are some of the ways to conduct do-it-yourself troubleshooting of your LG washer and dryer.
If these troubleshooting steps do not solve the problem, contact LG customer service or a local technician. You may be entitled to a free service if the dryer is within the warranty period. To request information about the service, call (877) 714-7486 in the United States or Canada, with the model number, serial number and zip code ready.
Did you enjoy reading this article? Do you have any contribution to make? Don’t hesitate to use the comment section!
Read more: How to clean a clogged needle